What is the best time to post on social media?
Feb 25, 2020
If you are new to the online world then knowing when to post on the various social media platforms is one of the challenges you are probably facing!
In this article, I will therefore answer: what is the best time to post on social media?
How do I find the best time to post on social media for my business?
As so often when it comes to doing business online, the best time to post on social media depends on who your client is and what kind of business you have.
Very generally speaking, according to Hootsuite, the best time to post on social media is between 9 and 12 a.m. EST, early in the workweek (i.e., Monday to Wednesday). That's regardless of whether you're a B2B or B2C brand.
But if your business is in Australia for example, and you are local, then sticking to these guidelines makes no sense.
Here's what to take into account when deciding the best time to post on social media:
- Who is your ideal reader / viewer? When are they online? Do they typically use social media after work? During work in their breaks? And do they use it on phone or on their desktops?
- In which timezone are your followers? My followers are mainly in Europe and the US, and that's why I often post between 9AM EST / 3PM CET and 2PM EST / 8PM CET because those times work for both Europe and the US. If I post earlier, then I notice a drop in overall engagement, but a rise in engagement from my European followers. So
- What do your data say? Most platforms provide data to help you figure out when your audience is online. I will go into more detail about how this works on each of the platforms below.
- What is your experience? If you post similar content regularly on different times, you will be able to see a pattern: at what time do your posts get most engagement? Keep on tweaking and testing!
Below, I will go into the specifics of the various platforms.
The best time to post on Facebook
- The best time to post on Facebook is directly related to when most people are online on Facebook. Globally, the best times to post on Facebook are between 9AM and 3PM, with a peak during lunch breaks and on Wednesdays. You can see an overview of the best times to post in this graph by SproutSocial:
- This article by SproutSocial will give you a detailed insight into when to post on Facebook by industry.
- Facebook actually provide data about when your audience is present on Facebook. You can go to your Facebook Business Page > Insights > Posts > When your Fans are Online. There you will see an overview of exactly when YOUR page fans are online.
Best times to post Instagram
- On Instagram, like on Facebook, the number of people online peaks during the middle of the day (lunch break) and the middle of the week (Wednesday). Weekdays perform better than weekends. The graph below shows the overall best times to post on Instagram (source: SproutSocial):
Optimal times differ per industry though, if you want a more detailed overview, then this post is helpful.
- Instagram tools like Planoly offer a service called "best time to post" that automatically generates the best time for your posts to go live, based on statistics. If you are serious about Instagram, then a paid service like Planoly is definitely worth the investment. (Full disclosure: this is an affiliate link. I use Planoly myself and I 100% support the tool).
- You can also find out when your audience are online on Instagram through Facebook Creator Studio. You can connect your instagram account to Facebook Creator Studio first, then go to Insights and then Audience to see when your audience are online!
Best time to post on Pinterest
On Pinterest, it is important to post regularly and often (about 25 times a day according to the latest recommendations). It's impossible to do this by hand and I therefore highly recommend using Tailwind. This tool will automatically schedule posts and publish them on the times that work best for your account. (Full disclosure: this is an affiliate link. I use Tailwind myself and I 100% support the tool).
When to post on LinkedIn
The best times to post on LinkedIn are week days between 9AM and 3PM. Below is an overview (again by SproutSocial) of global times people are online on LinkedIn:
Most important tip when it comes to finding the best times to post on social media: do not overthink it!
The most important thing I can say about finding the best times to post on social media is this: Do NOT overthink this. The online world can be so confusing and overwhelming that it is easy to go into overthinking mode trying to come up with the perfect solution, like a perfect posting schedule. Not knowing the best times to post is never a reason not to post or to post less than you know you should... You will learn by doing!
Need more help with your Social Media scheduling?
You can schedule a free 30-minute growth call with Paulien. During this call, we can chat about your Social Media challenges and you will walk away with clarity on your next steps!
That's it, I hope this post was useful! Here's what you can do next:
- You can find more posts related to social media and business strategy on the blog or by clicking on the tags in the side bar (desktop) or in "related blog post" right below this post (mobile).
- Save this post for later! Pin it using the pin below.
- Know anyone who might love this post? You can share it using the buttons on this screen.
- Learn more about how Paulien can help you grow your business.
Book My Discovery Call
Ready to take your business to the next level with the help of a coach?
You can schedule a free 45-minute discovery call with me. This call will help you get crystal clear on:
- the next steps you need to take to take your business to the next level,
- and if and how I can help you achieve this as your business coach.